emmmy lizzzy
spring

guest post: emily from emmmy lizzzy

Not too long ago, Dorie introduced me to Emily and her amazing sewing skills.  Emily’s blog is full of fantastic quilts (check out this one!) and you can usually find out what she’s up to on instagram.  When I asked Emily about her favorite pattern, I had no idea I would be in for such a treat. Emily made not 1, not 2, but 7 garments from her favorite pattern! Now that’s a favorite pattern!

Parsley Pants

Thanks for letting us hang out on your blog today, Meg!

My favorite pattern comes from superstar designer, Rae Hoekstra – or Made by Rae, as you might know her.  Rae has some fantastically written, basic
patterns in her collection that can be changed up a million different ways to ensure that you can create tons of different looks – and never get bored sewing the same thing!
Her Geranium and Flashback Skinny Tee are my go-to patterns to make dresses and shirts, so I’m thrilled that I can add a pants pattern to my arsenal.

I was lucky enough to get an early draft of her Parsley Pants pattern, and after sewing them up for the first time, I couldn’t seem to stop and ended up making 7 pairs in one week.

gray parsley pants

What makes these so awesome, do you ask?  First of all – they sew up quick.  Like, super quick! The Parsley Pants are a 2 piece pant pattern. So there’s only one pattern piece that you cut out twice – one piece for each leg.  And aside from the hemming and waistband, there are only three seams.

The pair above was made with Essex yarn-dyed linen in black, and I took off 2 inches for the hem and added a floral cuff out of some Melody Miller fabric – a crazy adorable fabric combination that I have to credit back to Holly and her gorgeous art student tote.

velveteen parsley pants

You know what else is great about this pattern?  My daughter is wearing a 4T, and it takes just under a yard of fabric to make these pants in her size. Hence, velveteen pants for under $20.  I dare you to find a pair in the store anywhere close to that price (or this awesome)!

You can create so many different looks by changing up the substrates and options.  I just love the pintucks and the flat front option, so I went a little crazy with those.  However there are also 2 different pocket patterns included (my pairs show the pouch pocket), and multiple leg extras – such as a tuxedo stripe and kneepads.

linen parsley pants

Here’s another pair made out of a super soft linen, paired with a flashback tee top. Total Made by Rae wardrobe!

parsley shorts

It’s not included in the pattern, but how can you not think about hacking off some length and making shorts?  I had a remnant of this gorgeous coral bamboo/cotton corduroy (thanks, Karen!) and without measuring a darn thing, I squeezed in as much length as I could.  I probably could make these a bit shorter, but I think they work as pretty adorable bermuda shorts.
In case you want to try this hack for yourself, I ended up cutting the legs off at about 16.5″ on a size 4T and gave them a 1″ hem.  The patch pockets are made from upcycled vintage sheets.

Parsley PJs

And finally, I went with the most basic version of the pattern – full elastic waist, no added frills – and sewed up three pairs of flannel pajama pants.  I let Phoebe loose at Joann’s and let her pick out the fabric herself.  I think she did a pretty good job!

The Parsley Pants pattern should be available soon. Rae’s hoping to release it next week, so stay tuned to her blog for updates!  I hope that you all love it as much as I do!

• Reply Mae April 18, 2013 at 7:31 am

I especially love them as bermuda shorts& wouldn’t cut them shorter AT ALL. SO cute. My daughter also picked out pink foxes at joann’s so we are rocking that fabric as a nightgown these days. Great Pattern!

• Reply ANi April 18, 2013 at 9:35 am

I seriously enjoyed testing this pattern and fully intend to make a million pairs of these pants. When it’s available everyone ever should buy it. It’s quick, versatile and looks super polished.

• Reply Megan April 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

The shorts are my favorite! So cute. And I love that this pattern works great for boys and girls. I have a little boy and there aren’t enough fun boy patterns out there. Yet another reason to love Made By Rae!

• Reply Sabra April 18, 2013 at 11:05 am

Every pair is perfection. Love the fabrics.

• Reply Brooke April 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Love my parsley pants so much! I have been plotting more fun variations since I made my 3 pairs! Wish I could put a boy in velveteen bc those are stinkin awesome!

• Reply Kelly April 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Oh my, I tested these too and I can’t believe I didn’t think of shorts!! Those are seriously awesome, and I love the Bermuda length. And the velveteen, so cool. LOVE them all!

• Reply Clover April 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Ok so I was a tester on these too and I agree they are a great staple,patten I made a pair for my daughter out of white linen and I LOVE them. If it were 75deg in So Cal I would be tempted to make seven pairs too.

• Reply Clover April 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Ok so I was a tester on these too and I agree they are a great staple pattern I made a pair for my daughter out of white linen and I LOVE them. If it werent 75deg in So Cal I would be tempted to make seven pairs too.

• Reply Tammia April 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I have made several pairs of “Made’s” pants (and love them) but I would love to try a new pattern. I used to think skirts were my favorite thing to make…nope, pants. I absolutely love all of your versions. Great job! (can’t wait for that pattern to come out).

• Reply kristin April 18, 2013 at 9:30 pm

woah, SEVEN? holy crap, emily, i thought i was doing pretty good with my two pairs! ha. can’t wait for the parsley pant pattern to take the sewing world by storm – they really are fantastic!

• Reply gail April 20, 2013 at 8:26 am

i love all of these and so excited for this pattern! oh, and she is about the cutest little model in the land!!!

• Reply Frances April 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

They are all adorable, Emily! I love a versatile pattern like this. Rae’s patterns really are the best!

• Reply satellite cardsharing kings April 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!

It is the little changes that make the most significant changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

• Reply Custom Greek Threads July 21, 2014 at 5:43 am

Awesome cute kids wear especially the colorful printed designs. Just too adorable.