summer kcw day one
summer

kcw summer 2013: day one

Summer KCW is here! We are a smaller group this summer–see everyone who is participating here–but there are beautiful things being made nonetheless. I mean just look at that adorable polka dot geranium dress!

kcw summer 2013: day one

1.  puffy peter pan and polka dotted geranium dress  2. paris skirt  3. indigo linen jump rope dress  4. pink pants

I’m guessing these lovely garments didn’t get sewn in an hour, but the sewers were lovely enough to put up their projects on the new kcw community website! We would love it if you would put your projects up there too. If you are not done with anything yet–I’m not!–don’t worry. You can create a project on the site before the actual sewing project is done.  Just upload some in progress shots (in progress shots are my favorite). That way we can all see what everyone is up to.

You don’t have to be participating in the current KCW to follow what other’s are sewing, but you do need to register on the KCW website (it’s super easy and quick). To see everyone’s projects just go to EXPLORE and click PROJECTS. Remember that the site is in beta. If there is anything you want in the future or that is confusing now please tell us!! We are building this community for you!

Happy summer KCW!

• Reply Tara July 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

My intention while a week from my due date was to not even consider doing kcw. But blarg. It’s tractor beaming my fabric pile in.

• Reply Jewel July 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Wow! Only the middle of day one and there are already so many projects added…I’d better work a bit faster. So excited to participate this year, but feeling a bit slow on the starting line.

• Reply Tasha July 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Jewel, I always feel that way!

• Reply Jewel July 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

glad I am not the only one! Instead of feeling like a slacker I will use it for motivation.

• Reply Tasha July 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Meg,
    It’d be nice if we could view the images larger than the small thumbnails. And if we could view them in their original proportions? Is there a way to link a project to a blog post? Also, I uploaded a WIP project, but I was required to complete the forms although I’m not finished yet. However, I saw another project that had blank answers for the same questions that I found to be required. Not a big deal, just a bit strange!

Tasha

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi Tasha,
      Yes! The image situation will get better.
      If a project is “self drafted” then all the fields about the pattern are not required. Meg and I will have to think about how to handle WIP projects. Great point!

• Reply Isabella July 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hello
    Thanks for this nice website! I also would like to know if there is a way to link a project to a blog post (see Megs question)? And can we comment other projects?
    Isabella

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm

We don’t have commenting yet, but we will in the Fall season for sure. I like the idea of linking to a blog post!

• Reply Rachel July 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Love the new community website. I can just imagine the insane amount of work that has gone in to it already! My only hmm has been I loaded several images for one project but not a great representation showed up in my main picture slot. Is there a way to toggle which picture is our main thumbnail?

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yes, the current situation with project images isn’t the ideal, but it’s what we could manage for Summer. Even better things in the Fall! Thanks for the comment!

• Reply Becky July 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I really wanted to sign up for the Summer KCW, but I didn’t know if I’d have the time! I participated in the Spring KCW and I didn’t realize that you were supposed to upload pictures somewhere!

• Reply borsoo July 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I also wanted to sign up the Summer KCW, but missed it as I did not realize when I should have done it.

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm

You can still sign up for summer! Log in to the KCW site, go to your Dashboard and sign up!

• Reply Elizabeth July 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm

It is so great to see all the already-completed projects! One question: I used an actual pattern that isn’t yet loaded in your database (I did request it but I’m sure you’re swamped with adding things!). It looks like there’s not a way to upload this project- it requires a pattern to be selected or the “self drafted” button to be pushed. Is there a way to get around this? Just wondering if I missed something- thanks!

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Hmmm… for the time being, you could select self-drafted until the Pattern in added. It looks like we’ll really need some sort of WIP option.

• Reply Charity July 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I agree that a way to link to a blog post would be great… and I’m looking forward to comments being added in the fall! I also agree about being able to toggle between photos to choose a main… but overall I’m loving the new site! =)

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thanks! We love the feedback and hearing what would be useful/important to people.

• Reply Nickitikitari July 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Is it just me, or when you upload multiple photos, only one is seen on the project page?

• Reply Dorie July 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I’ll take a look! Which of your projects has multiple images?

• Reply Jewel July 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

yes, I uploaded multiple pictures for all of my projects but only one shows up. Also, am I missing something but none of the fields I filled out about the sewing show up either.

• Reply Tasha July 15, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Another thing; It’d be nice if the ‘project’ browsing page would always list projects in the same order so that I could see which projects were added since the last time I checked. It’d also be great if we could have a ‘next/previous project’ button, to avoid having to go back to the browsing page to click on another project. Oh! And (this may have been mentioned already) when you view a project, and click on the pattern link, if all projects made with that pattern could be listed on the pattern page.

I feel like I’m being really picky; but I’m seriously in LOVE with what’s happening here. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Reply Dorie July 17, 2013 at 10:48 am

not picky! we love hearing from everyone – what works and what doesn’t. And, the link between all projects for a pattern will happen soon.

• Reply Boniek July 16, 2013 at 5:53 am

I can’t sing up and add pictures. Is it possible to add pictures without using page https://kcwc.herokuapp.com/users/sign_in?
    First i’v made: http://boniffacy.blogspot.com/2013/07/spodnie-kids-clothes-week.html 🙂

• Reply Dorie July 17, 2013 at 10:49 am

Have you created an account under “sign UP”? Everyone needs to be registered in order to post pictures.

• Reply Erin Keith July 16, 2013 at 7:18 am

How fun! So exciting to log on and see my sweetie’s picture up top. 🙂 As to the photo thing, for a temporary fix, it looks like the image uploaded last sets itself as the main project image, so people could just make sure that their best project image is last. Also, as a suggestion for fall, maybe a place for people to link their instagram account info? I’ve already loved browsing around the #kcw #kidsclothesweek hashtags on instagram! 🙂

• Reply Dorie July 17, 2013 at 10:49 am