kcw october 2013: day six
fall

kcw: day six

kcw october 2013: day six

1. the coloring book dress by Hayley 2. deer tee by Erika 3. dotted sweater by Nele 4. retro reversible roly poly by Erin

Today is day 6 of Kid’s Clothes Week! Are you finishing some things you started. Or maybe even starting something new?! It’s hard not to be inspired to sew when looking through all the amazing clothes in the kcw community. It also can be a little frustrating. Here are pages and pages of beautiful finished garments and I have piles of half-finished and totally wonky, ill-fitting clothes. Do you ever feel like that?

kcw october 2013: day six

1. briar rose flashback skinny by Angela 2. rocket man shirt by Heidi 3. velvety teal by Ginta 4. mix and match cardigan by Michael Ann

Sewing is not all wine and roses (though a little wine does help). There are kcw days where every seam you sew is wrong, or the shirt you made for your toddler fits you, or the buttonholer does everything except make actual buttonholes.  If kcw has taught me anything, it’s that confronting your mistakes is not that awful. It sure feels like it’s going to be, but when you sit down and either try to fix the mistakes, or just solider on in spite of them, it’s empowering. And it ignites a sort of creative fire too. Does this happen to you? Have you had any big missteps this kcw? Did you, as Tim Gunn would say, make it work?

• Reply melissa q. October 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

Yes! Yesterday I wrestled with a ridiculous hoodie. I’m not ashamed to admit I trantrumed like a toddler. Then I drank wine. But, it did get done!!

• Reply Meg October 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

I have had my fair share of temper tantrums. Good for you for getting it done!

• Reply Michael Ann October 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

Ah! Thanks so much for the feature! This cardigan was my make it work moment actually, I kept second guessing myself the whole time, but dang, it felt so good to get it done!

• Reply Meg October 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

and make it work you did!

• Reply Jacquie October 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanx for your site, this is my first participation. Sorry dont know if this is where i am supposed to share my sewing expedition.
    day 1-did nothing was down with fever
    day 2-cut all the patterns that i had drafted-two pairs of pants for son, two skirts, a pair of pants for daughter
    day 3- sewed a skirt and a pair of pants
    day 4- another skirt and pants
    day 5- took all my garments for overlock and finished hemming
    day 6- altered a skirt that has been lying aroung for ages
    this has been my sewing week, thanks to you.

• Reply Ginta October 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for featuring my teal bubble skirt. Actually, I just recently had an issue with a buttonhole maker. Oh, my, I almost gave up! The hardest part is to keep going, and if one thing fails – just don’t give up, take another sewing project and keep rolling! 🙂

• Reply Angela October 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for featuring my shirt! I love KCW for the motivation it gives to pull out the seam ripper immediately instead of tossing the garment to the side unfinished for who know how long.