kcw guest post by brienne from brienne moody
winter

winter inspiration: fabrics

Hi there! I’m Brienne. I’m new to blogging and I’m doing it over here: www.briennemoody.typepad.com. I live in a remote wilderness area where there are no movie theaters, all-night grocery stores or fabric shops. It is beautiful where I live but it’s a bit isolating too. So being a part of the KCW community  is meaningful to me and I’m thrilled to be here. Thank you, Meg!

Let’s talk about fabric, shall we? I’m digging frosty pastels right now and stark contrasts. Up North, we need lightweight but warm natural fibers to layer underneath and outer layers that will block the chill. If you dwell somewhere warm, you can ditch the woolen layers and opt for a tissue-knit instead.

Here are some icy fabrics that I chose with my daughter in mind:

1. Woodland Cotton Knit 2. Cotton Rib Knit 3. Double Gauze 4. Double Gauze 5. Curly Faux Fur 6. Wool Jersey

And here is the palette intended for my son:

1. Birch Cotton Knit 2. Cotton Spandex Knit 3. Tissue Knit 4. Watercolor Cotton Knit 5. Blue Whale Cotton Knit 6. Stretch Wool Jersey

What’s catching your eye these days?

• Reply Laura January 2, 2014 at 9:05 am

Both of those collections are stunning Brienne. I already want to buy a couple of the ones you chose for your son. I’m looking forward to seeing what you make during KCW.

• Reply celina January 2, 2014 at 9:06 am

Welcome to blogging Brienne! I have to say I kinda of made a resolution not to buy any fabric this year, but you might have just tempted me. I love both colour palettes and just too much goodness in those swatches. Off to shop! Thank you for the inspiration 😉

• Reply Kelley January 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

I love those knits! great roundup! I agree with Celina, I wasn’t going to buy any new fabric… but….

• Reply Andrea January 2, 2014 at 9:42 am

Ha ha – I grew up in Northeast – people thought I was nuts when I told them the nearest movie theater was an hour away! And these fabrics…unlike Celina I’m not kidding myself about my out-of-control…I mean, prolific fabric collecting tendencies 😉 And these are so very pretty – I’m especially loving the Double Gauze and the Watercolor print!!

• Reply brienne moody January 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

Prolific is right, Andrea. you’re a curator, a collector. Think of the legacy you’ll be leaving:) I just saw the second Hunger Games movie with a group of moms. We drove three hours through a snowstorm to get there – it was ridiculous. But man is there beautiful costuming in that movie. Before that, I think it was 2006 when I last saw a movie in the theatre…

• Reply melissa q. January 2, 2014 at 10:10 am

Ooh, I love these fabric choices!! That birch tree fabric is insanely wonderful.  I’m so glad you are posting on KCW, it is great to discover you!

• Reply Susan January 2, 2014 at 10:20 am

What sweet collections!

• Reply Asia Citro January 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

Love these choices – especially those tiny whales.  Perfection!

• Reply Carla January 2, 2014 at 10:48 am

What a great fabric round up, I just got sucked into the black hole of delight that is Spoonflower!

• Reply Jess Abbott January 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I’ve had my eye on that birch fabric as well 🙂

• Reply abby @ thingsforboys January 3, 2014 at 2:21 am

Great collections! I love using light colours in the winter.

• Reply Calida January 3, 2014 at 4:41 am

Hi Brienne, I love your fabric selections! Can I ask you how you find them? I try to only buy organic fabrics, so Spoonflower is perfect, as I can get any of the fabrics in an organic knit. But I find it really overwhelming searching for nice prints on there. You seem to have found some really nice stuff. Is it by designers you already know of, and look through their designs. Or do you know of a cunning other way of locating such nice prints on Spoonflower? Thanks, Callie x

• Reply Brienne January 5, 2014 at 7:24 am

Hi Calida, I’ve been thinking about your question for a couple of days. It’s a good one. I don’t have a particular strategy that I can think of except that I finally am beginning to understand what I like, which makes browsing easier. I go for prints that are unusual, with a sketch-like quality. I like neutrals and black and white. It seems to me that Spoonflower is largely organized by motif, that’s the easiest way to search there.

I find blogs and pinterest very useful! I’ve put together a few pinterest boards with my favorite spoonflower and natural fabrics over here: http://www.pinterest.com/ByBrienne/spoonflower-favorites/ and here http://www.pinterest.com/ByBrienne/natural-fabrics/. I hope that this helps and I’d love to know where you’ve found natural fabrics in the past:)

• Reply Calida January 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi Brienne, Thanks so much for taking the time for a considered reply. I also love sketch-like prints, which is why I was asking how you’d found the one’s you picked for KCWC. I can’t wait to see how things look when you’ve sewn them up, as that’s one of the other things I find really difficult about shopping for fabric online. When you can’t touch and feel it, it’s difficult to imagine what it’ll look like as a finished garment. I’ve mostly stumbled upon fabrics from other bloggers, I’ve a few pinned on pinterest too http://www.pinterest.com/mamalovesmambo/fabric/ I’ve not really looked for inspiration on pinterest too much, but thanks, that’ll be a good source too, I’ll be following your boards on the now. Near sea naturals and Cloud 9 fabrics have a good selection of organic fabrics. But I think spoonflower is the best place for original prints with a hand drawn feel, it’s just so expensive especially as I live in the UK. Cheers, Callie x

• Reply brienne moody January 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Callie, it’s totally expensive. And it IS tough to shop for it online. I did order those whales, actually. They’re darling but – they’re huge! I think they’ll be a baby blanket instead of a kid’s garment since I can’t quite figure out how to place them:) Maybe we can get the fabric makers to notice us and then they’ll give us some:)

• Reply Calida January 8, 2014 at 5:24 am

That’s exactly the problem! I’m glad it’s not just me! I know they have a ruler to show you size, but I still find it difficult to imagine. What I like best is seeing what others have sewn with a fabric, so you can see the scale and drape. I think you can upload finished project images to spoonflower, but it doesn’t seem to be a well used feature, which is a shame. I’m quite a beginner to sewing, so I don’t think I’ll be getting any freebies yet! You totally should though x

• Reply Holly and Eddie January 22, 2014 at 12:15 am

There are some great prints here, i just adore Cotton Rib Knit and Double Gauze. You have a keen eye for colours.